Hepatology is an area of medicine that focuses on diseases of the liver as well as related conditions.
A hepatologist is a specialized doctor involved in the diagnosis and treatment of hepatic diseases, which include issues that affect your:
• Biliary tract
Here’s what you need to know if you’re considering seeing a hepatologist for diagnosis or management of a related medical condition and are seeking to obtain a referral to this type of specialist.
Some types of liver disease (including nonalcoholic fatty liver disease) rarely cause symptoms. For other conditions, the most common symptom is jaundice — a yellowing of your skin and the whites of your eyes. Jaundice develops when your liver can’t clear a substance called bilirubin.
Other signs of liver disease may include:
- Abdominal (belly) pain (especially on the right side).
- Bruising easily.
- Changes in the color of your urine or stool.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Swelling in your arms or legs (edema).
- Viral infections: Hepatitis A, hepatitis B and hepatitis C are diseases caused by a viral infection.
- Problems with your immune system: When your immune system mistakenly attacks your liver, it can cause autoimmune liver diseases. These include primary biliary cholangitis and autoimmune hepatitis.
- Inherited diseases: Some liver problems develop because of a genetic condition (one you inherit from your parents). Inherited liver diseases include Wilson disease and hemochromatosis.
- Cancer: When abnormal cells multiply in your liver, you may develop tumors. These tumors may be benign (noncancerous) or malignant (liver cancer).
- Consuming too many toxins: Alcoholic fatty liver disease is the result of misusing alcohol. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) results from consuming too much fat. NAFLD is becoming more common as rates of obesity and diabetes rise.
It is most often see people who have health conditions related to liver .Some of the most common health issues they treat include alcohol related liver diseases fatty liver viral hepatitis recurrent jaundice water in stomach (Ascites),liver cirrhosis, liver cancer & Liver transplant. they also manage the patients with GI blood loss(blood vomiting/blood in stools)